Do You Have A Mission Statement When It Comes To Your Blog?
Do you have a mission statement for your blog? You definitely want to define your blog with one whether you’re just starting out on your blogging odyssey (check out this post to help you with your new blog) or you’re years into building a full-fledged online community. Writing a mission statement for your blog will help discover your perspective and define your purpose. It can be the single most important thing you do for your blog. You will be setting it up for a future of success attracting reader after reader to your blog and more importantly return reader after return reader.
A mission statement is a statement of the purpose of a company, organization or person; its reason for existing (start here to set up your blog); a written declaration of an organization’s core purpose and focus that normally remains unchanged over time.
A blog mission statement reminds you why you are blogging in the first place. It helps you, your team, and even your audience understand what you are doing. As you continue with blogging, referencing your mission statement will help keep you on track as you grow and change. Before you start writing the actual statement, though, you need to lay a foundation first.
This Spring I sat down to compose my own mission statement and these are a few of the steps I took.
First, ask yourself some of these questions:
- Who is it I’m writing to? Who is my target demographic? How old is she, what does she struggle with, and how can I encourage/inspire/help her?
- What questions can I answer?
- What am I passionate about?
- How can I tell my story in a unique way?
- Am I willing to open up and be vulnerable?
- Which bloggers do I most aspire to be like, and what is it about their blogs that I love?
- How am I most afraid to fail?
Write it Out
You can brainstorm, plan, hope and dream all you want, but until you actually put fingers to keys on the keyboard you don’t actually have a mission statement.
- Put it on your calendar. Schedule time to go over all the thoughts you’ve collected and questions you’ve asked.
- Write out a rough draft of your mission statement.
- Keep it short, and make sure it stands alone. The idea is that you want your mission statement to articulate the purpose, vision, dreams for your blog in just a few sentences.
- Your mission statement should represent your brand.
- Review and edit until you have a final draft that reflects your purpose, vision, and dreams for your blog.
This is what I came up with in rough draft format after working long and hard on these questions to myself. Shooting Stars And Little Toy Car’s mission statement is this:
Shooting Stars And Little Toy Cars exists to bring fabulous family-friendly finds to all families online, and to encourage and equip families with parenting hacks, money saving and money making tips, time-saving ideas, blogging tutorials, Instant Pot cooking resources (recipes, cooking tips, appliance maintenance, etc.), raising tweens and teens, living a joy-filled life while dealing with family law issues in your home (divorce, adoption, stepfamilies, etc.) , sharing family inspired road trips in an RV (we plan on eventually turning these roadtrips into a full-time money-making blogging lifestyle with children in tow) and so much more.
If you’re like me you might find that you have a problem condensing all of your information into one or two sentences and need a bit more room. If this turns out to be the case then you should use your about page to write your blog’s mission statement. That’ll give you the room you need.
That’s it! Thanks so much for reading this post guys! I hope you found this post helpful. Feel free to share your mission statement in the comments or any other advice you have. I always appreciate feedback! As always take care until next time!
Some of the links in this post are our referral links (to products we not only believe in but also very happily use ourselves), meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you make a purchase. The commission we earn helps us to keep our blogs up and running smoothly. We very graciously thank you! O:)